Tuesday, 10 March 2015

The Hummingbird Bakery's Peanut Butter Cookies

OCD Panic Rating: 1/5
Handwashes: 1

I was honestly going to make a savoury dish this week but, after a day like today, only something sweet would do.  To cheer myself up, I decided to take the opportunity to dip into my new Hummingbird Bakery book.  I've been saving this for the right occasion and, in this case, a crappy Monday was sufficient.

I already have a solid recipe for peanut butter cookies but, as they are a particular favourite in my household, I thought I would give an additional recipe a shot.  That recipe involves replacing all the unsalted butter with peanut butter and it makes for a gooey, nutty treat.  This recipe, however, is much more like a typical cookie and uses a combination of unsalted and peanut butter.  It was easy enough to follow, although I did manage to muddle myself by halving the amounts involved.  The recipe makes 24 but, in all honesty, I'd eat them all immediately, so I decided 12 would do for now.  This would've been fine if I was capable of consistently dividing by two; instead, I ended up having to spoon flour out of the bowl after my attention wandered.  Not smart but I think I caught the mistake in time.

I put the balls of dough onto the baking sheets and cooked for the suggested ten minutes.  They were still quite pale so I gave them longer.  Maybe too much longer, as I got distracted trying to work out why my crappy iPod charger wasn't working.  The finished result is possibly a bit crisper than intended because of this, but they still look decent:
Cookies, plus additional kitchen mess
And yes, they are the size of my head.

They haven't quite got the soft chewiness that I would have liked, and the nutty flavour is more subtle than in my usual recipe.  They're a satisfying treat though, as you could definitely cope with only eating one or two.  I didn't - I ate seven - but a more disciplined individual might have been able to show the necessary restraint.  My usual PB cookies send me into a sugar high that seems to help me tap into my inner potential (I won that pub quiz by myself, damn you); these were tasty but not to the same level.

Key points:

  • Don't let electrical devices distract you from monitoring the cooking time.
  • Sometimes your established recipes are still the best.
Win rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment