Monday, 25 May 2015

My final fast-track weigh-in

This weigh-in marks the end of my 1200-calorie-a-day fast-track diet 6-week hyphentastic extravaganza with the Hairy Bikers' Diet Club.  I followed the diet well in the first three weeks and lost the best part of a stone but 1200 calories proved too restrictive when other commitments took over.  For the past couple of weeks, I've been aiming for the more manageable target of 1500 calories and it feels more sustainable, although my weight loss has slowed considerably as a result.

With my official move onto the Hairy Bikers' standard Weight Loss programme, 1500-1600 calories is now my target anyway, so I'm hoping for a steady loss of 1-2 pounds a week from now on.  It's more important that I can consolidate my weight loss rather than continue to drop big numbers, as it would be so easy for the old bad habits to start slipping back in.

It's been a reasonable week.  I've been stuck in front of a computer for most of it and the weather was shite, so my step count wasn't up to much.  I've done a bit of swimming, cycling and gymming to make up for it, as well as for a break from the screen.  I've had a couple of significant indulgences but my average intake for the week has still lurked around the 1600 calories mark.  My estimate is that I'll have lost a pound.  I was hoping for two but I have been woefully sedentary.

Let's get to it.

Yep, as I thought.  As of Monday 25 May, I weigh 11 stone 4 pounds (71.7 kg).

I had wanted to get to my 'ideal' BMI of 11 stone 3 but this is a reasonable loss considering the way the week played out.  Anyway, after losing the obvious excess weight, results are going to slow down.  It wouldn't have been healthy for a person of my size to keep dropping 4 pounds a week!  I still have some size to lose though, especially around the tough belly area, so the journey continues.

To focus my energies, now that my time is once more my own for a bit (note to self: stop volunteering for work stuff), I've set two achievable targets:

1 - exercise four times a week.  I'm thinking swimming, 2 x gym, and one long walk, but any exercise is a good start.

2 - cook a new recipe at least once a week.  All the kitchen work has fallen to my husband recently so I need to get more hands-on again.  After all, the main point of this blog is to help me get over my OCD via cooking, not to get all OCD about my weight.  A better focus on the former might help me with the latter anyway.

Manageable targets.  The diet experiment slows down from now on but, if anything, this period of maintenance is more important in the long run.  It's one thing losing the weight, but it's quite another keeping it off...

No comments:

Post a Comment