Monday, 13 July 2015

On skipping the scales

I've been honest with this blog and myself about the difficulties I've had monitoring my food intake and my exercise over the past couple of weeks.  With moving day imminent (we're picking the keys up on Friday...), there have just been so many other things to think about.  A bit of comfort eating seems like a small price to pay for a less stressful evening, after all.

It's not been all bad.  I've actually tried running again for the first time since I badly hurt my ankle last year.  Having always been an awful runner, I was so pleased to be able to run two miles straight off.  Losing a bit of weight and building up my muscle and stamina at the gym must have had an effect.  

However, it is Monday and I am supposed to be weighing myself, and I just can't bring myself to do it.  I'm not expecting anything too horrific but there seems no point in stressing myself out about a number when I know that I have not been stressing about my food and exercise this week.  It's counterproductive.

There is even a school of thought that we should avoid the scales altogether, partly because of the emotional pressure that gets associated with it.  Not only that, you know when you're feeling good or bad, whether you've been eating right, and all that.  You can see and feel the results in a way that the number on the scale does not always represent.

As soon as I've got the move out of the way, I'll start to use the diet in the way that I did before, as a means of monitoring and being more mindful about my lifestyle.  The scales can come back out then.  For now, I know that I am still in much better shape than I have been in a long time and a few pounds either way is not going to stop that.

No comments:

Post a Comment