Tuesday, 4 August 2015

Delicious irony (mmmm, irony *drools*)

Homer Drool1003 -  DELICIOUS IRONYThis week, I've been to the gym twice and have eaten such homemade delights as stuffed mushrooms and aubergine and mince bolognese.

This week, I've also developed one stinker of a summer cold.

I thought it was just a resurgence of my hayfever but the lethargy and achiness I'm feeling suggests otherwise.  I did spend the other night in an absolute sweatbox watching Less Than Jake play, so I'm assuming that was a contributing factor.  Totally worth it, but a nuisance when I was working both days following.

It's far from the end of the world; it just feels ironic that this bug should strike at a time when I'm probably treating my body better than I have for the past month.  Two weeks ago, I spent an entire day soaked to the skin in London after getting caught in an epic rainstorm and I suffered no ill effects at all.  This week, I work out more and eat out less and this is when I get poorly.  How unreasonable.

The positive news is that my new home seems to encourage me to walk more.  There are lots of things to see and do within walking distance and I also have a longer walk to get to and from work, meaning I spend a good deal of my day on my feet.  My legs have been a bit stiff and I've been quite tired as a result but I know my body will adapt to it very quickly.  I've had to leave the house whenever I've wanted to use the Internet, meaning more steps (and more coffeeshop tea!).  We also have not got a sofa yet for the new place, a situation that has definitely led to me spending less time sat down.  Our dining chairs are comfy enough but not the kind of seats you want to watch a film on.  

Maybe that's my advice for the week: if you want to sit down less, get rid of your favourite comfy chair.

(Don't.  You'll really miss it)

I've not specifically thought about my diet this week.  I have eaten at home more but there have been quite a lot of treats to help me get through my busy work schedule.  For instance, a list of my food for the week would include cookies, cake and, shock horror, a fried breakfast.  This can partially be excused by my illness (feed a cold, starve a fever, and all that probable nonsense) but is also indicative of the fact I feel a lot more confident in my body and appearance now.  I would like to lose more weight, sure, but I know that I have sustained my current weight through what has been a hectic and often miserable few weeks.  That is more important than the number on the scale.

However, for the record, as of Monday 3rd August, I still weigh 11 stone 1 (70.3kg).

If I was being specific, I'd say that I've lost half a pound.  As I'm not, I'm counting this as maintaining last week's weight.  It would be nice to be under the 11 stone barrier as I've been lurking around it for a while now, but I don't want to go to the gym until I definitely feel better.  I'm still too full of head gunk to risk anything more ambitious than a nice walk.

I should also mention that I've cancelled my subscription with the Hairy Bikers' Diet Club.  It was a fantastic support and motivation while I was getting started and it allowed me to get results that I think I would have struggled with by myself.  However, I'm strapped for cash and keen to prove that I can eat well without fastidious menu plans and calorie counting.  

If I've put on three pounds next week, I can always sign back up...

No comments:

Post a Comment